CBD, in recent times has been advertised as the one drug that cures all ailments. Many people undoubtedly have testimonies about the wonders of this drug. But before you jump on the bandwagon, stop and read this article!
There are some basic facts that you need to know about how it works, who it works for, the best place to buy it and how to use it. Our intent in this article is to help you have these basic facts at your disposal so that you can make an informed decision.
CBD is an acronym for Cannabidiol which comes from two variants of the cannabis plant; marijuana and hemp. Generally, the cannabis plant produces close to 140 other chemicals that are known as cannabinoids.
The most plentiful and well known of these chemicals is THC, the short form for tetrahydrocannabinol. This substance is psychoactive and causes people to get ‘high’ when they take marijuana. Following closely on its heel is CBD which is not psychoactive (in the sense that it doesn’t get people ‘high’).
According the limited research that has been carried out so far on this substance, it is believed that CBD interacts with the cannabinoids in the human body to alleviate several health challenges.
Let’s backtrack a bit…
The body produces cannabinoids naturally and they aid in enhancing the functions of the human system. These bodily functions include sleep, mood, feelings of pain, appetite and associated functions. This is what led to the belief that the external cannabidiols ingested would work with the one produced in the body for positive effects.
There have been and still are arguments about the veracity of these claims. Click here to see more of these arguments.
Some Quick Points To Note About Cannabidiol
- It is not intoxicating- Full spectrum CBD may have some psychoactive effect but would not intoxicate the user like full blown THC. This psychoactive effect is in its ability to calm the user as against the ‘high’ that THC produces.
- It is a legal substance but only on the condition that it was extracted from hemp.
- It interacts with the endocannabinoid systems of the body to bring relief for health issues.
- Full spectrum CBD works more effectively. This means that the product has to have other chemicals from the cannabis plant albeit in controlled quantities.
- There is no exact system of dosing for cannabidiol products. Since it is still considered an experimental drug, users have to be responsible for monitoring the dose that is right for them.
- On a general note, it is a harmless drug that can be taken by everyone. But just like some people react to over the counter drugs like Tylenol or Advil, there may be cases where it isn’t safe for an individual to use CBD.
- Products made from cannabidiol can be administered to dogs. Note however, that you are not to give dogs products made for humans.
- While it may be legal to fly with CBD that is derived from hemp, it is risky. This is because different states have different legislation on this substance.
Health Benefits of CBD
Many people attest to the health benefits of this substance and these benefits are as follows:-
Helps To Treat Anxiety Disorder
Although not scientifically proven, there are substantial evidences to the fact that CBD can be used to treat anxiety disorders. It does this by sending signals to the brain and the nervous system that there is no need for ‘fear or flight’. This relaxes the nerves and helps the user to be calm.
It has also been known to help people overcome stage fright. So people who have any form of social disorder would benefit from its usage.
Helps to Alleviate Pain
There are different CBD products that can be used to treat chronic pain. Some cannabidiol ointments can be applied on the skin to help alleviate inflammation and pain that is as a result of arthritis.
CBD gummies, tincture or flower can also be used to treat neuropathic and inflammatory pain. The many products that are available mean that you have different options for the use of this curative substance. These options can be purchased both offline and online and there are many brands such as Cheef Botanicals that ensure that they put out only authentic products.
This is one area where there are scientific evidences to show that CBD is effective in treating seizure in children. This is further buttressed by the fact that FDA has approved Epidiolex which is the first ever medicine that was derived from cannabis.
Epidiolex has proven effective in treating some of the worst types of epilepsy in children- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome. These conditions are known to be unresponsive to anti-siezure drugs. But thankfully, Epidiolex has recorded massive success by either reducing the number of seizures or stopping them entirely.
Some people are wary of what they consider the ‘hype’ about this substance (and rightly so). But despite the fact that one should be cautious about what goes into the body, we should also be willing to try new things.
It is true that FDA still lists CBD products under experimental drugs but you can work with your physician to find the best option for you. Although it is largely harmless, we keep emphasizing that it mustn’t be taken without medical supervision.
New users may experience drowsiness, loss of appetite, dry mouth(due to reduced saliva in the mouth) and some gastrointestinal issues. But the great news is that these symptoms disappear after a while.
You can find more helpful resource here: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1439/cannabidiol-cbd
Truth be told, the benefits of CBD far outweighs whatever concerns you may have about it. That being said however, each individual is expected to be responsible for ensuring that they get the right products and also the right dosage. Thankfully, there are many resources that can help you out.
We hope that the information shared in this article would be of great help and enable you to enjoy the benefits of CBD.